2
1

How long can you store eggs safely in the refrigerator? I only shop once a month and I need to know if I can keep eggs that long or if I have to go shopping for eggs more often.

asked 16 Oct '09, 20:49

adenwar's gravatar image

adenwar
305798
accept rate: 0%

12next »

Check the date on the package of eggs at the store to make sure you are getting the freshest they have. The eggs should last a 30-40 days. Keep them toward the back of the fridge as that is the coolest area, and they might keep longer.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 04:24

spragoo's gravatar image

spragoo
26611
accept rate: 4%

Except if you put them in the back of the fridge check on them regularly because when I did this once they froze!

(19 Oct '09, 03:19) Sabrina ♦

Shouldn't be a problem. If you're ever concerned about whether they're still good but don't want to just crack them open to check, put them in a bowl of cold unsalted water. If they lay there or are tipped on one side, they're fresh. If they stand up on end, they're still usable, but probably better boiled than over easy. If they float, throw them out, cuz they're too old.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 12:04

AnnaRaven's gravatar image

AnnaRaven
59219
accept rate: 9%

I saw a segment on the Today show that talked about how long you can keep different items in your refrigerator after the expiration date. The expert on there said that for eggs you can keep them up to two after their expiration date as long as they are kept in the fridge.

link

answered 18 Oct '09, 00:04

CourtneyR's gravatar image

CourtneyR
211
accept rate: 0%

Is that two weeks or two months?

(13 Jan '10, 02:45) Elizra

If you make sure to find the eggs that were just freshly stocked, you will be more than okay with keeping them for a month. Eggs stay good well past there use by date. If you start getting weary of their freshness just crack one in a seperate container and if its really runny and thin or has a fould smell, its time to throw them out. I have kept eggs for longer than a month before and they have been just fine.

link

answered 16 Oct '09, 21:11

Bonnie's gravatar image

Bonnie
811
accept rate: 0%

You probably want to invest in fresh, good quality eggs. A month is probably about as long as you'd want to keep Grade A eggs. Grade AA, probably only a couple weeks. The egg whites can get more runny the longer they are stored. Eggs don't often spoil, but they may become less usable. Just make sure you cook them well.

Another alternative if you have worries is to hard-boil them - they'll keep a little bit longer. You won't be able to make an omelet, but you can use them in an egg salad or something.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 02:30

sweetharriot's gravatar image

sweetharriot
1261
accept rate: 7%

I won't really suggest to stock up on eggs for more than 3 weeks. Especially we can't really tell how much time the eggs were stocked in the grocery or from the distributors.

But to be honest with you, we used to have poultry back home and eggs do really last for more than a month or two. You don't even need to put it in fridge, just make sure it is dry. But for those egg that came from grocery, you are better off putting them in the fridge.

But remember, fresher is better. I really missed getting eggs from chickens that don't use steroid or egg enhancing medicines.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 09:27

Sharon's gravatar image

Sharon
611
accept rate: 0%

According to the FDA you can keep eggs up to 6 weeks in the refrigerator.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 12:47

Di%20Marshall's gravatar image

Di Marshall
1
accept rate: 0%

I keep eggs over 30 days all the time. But i like to cook with a kind of eggs I can't find all the time around here. So, when I find them i buy a ton of them. A friend told me about freezeing them in a large ice tray. It works like a charm. Hope this helps.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 22:14

drazon's gravatar image

drazon
1411
accept rate: 0%

Farmers have 30 days to get eggs to market.
Grocers have 30 days to sell them.
They may be in the fridge for a month.
It's possible that in April you could be eating eggs laid on Christmas.

Generally farmers get eggs to market much sooner and you may get them as soon as the grocer does (within 10 days of laying is possible).

Grade AA eggs become grade A after two weeks. They're OK after a month, but not as good. As said above, if in doubt put them in water. If they float don't use (the higher they float, the older they are). Putting them in water reduces their storage time, so don't get them wet unless you plan to use them soon or wash with hot tap water after float test.

link

answered 18 Oct '09, 04:23

Dean's gravatar image

Dean
1212
accept rate: 14%

You can definitely store eggs for a month without a problem. Keep them refrigerated and they should be just fine. We have stored eggs for about 8 weeks with no problem.

link

answered 18 Oct '09, 17:02

ally79's gravatar image

ally79
4132713
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×20

Asked: 16 Oct '09, 20:49

Seen: 12,963 times

Last updated: 18 Jun '12, 05:53

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs