What can you do with peas, apart from add a little mint?

From my childhood I remembered pea and ham soup, so I made some. It was so boring - it was one of those things you make when you have to use up the ingredients. Then I thought, what else can you use peas for?

I am sure there are some ways to make peas versatile, but the best things I've seen are little patties, like fritters, made from processed peas, and the dreaded pease pudding (I hate it).

Yes, you can include them in lots of dishes - they go in stews, bolognese, and add to any mix of vegetables.

But are there any dishes in which peas are the principal feature?

asked 16 Oct '09, 02:24

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

One of my favorite uses for peas, and probably one of the most simple is actually a cold dish. Peas and Peanuts. 1 lb frozen peas, part thawed, 1 lb spanish peanuts, 1/3-1/2 cup sour cream (based on taste), 1/4 - 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce. Put all ingredients in bowl, mix together and store in refrigerator an hour or more before serving.

link

answered 16 Oct '09, 07:40

Destiany's gravatar image

Destiany
1061
accept rate: 4%

One of family favorites is peas and cheese. It might sound horrible but peas warmed in melted cheeses taste wonderful. I personally enjoy mine mixed with sharp cheddar. My wife is enjoys hers with provolone. Give it a shot, throw a little parmesan on it and I think it will become a family favorite for you too. Both my 2 and 4 year olds ask for it at the store. A good cheap somewhat healthy addition to any meal.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 17:23

Brandon's gravatar image

Brandon
912
accept rate: 0%

I eat my peas with honey
I've done so all my life
It makes my peas taste funny
But it keeps them on my knife

lol I'm sorry. I know that wasn't what you were looking for, but I couldn't resist.

Here's one:

Select small or medium-sized turnips; pare and cook them in slightly salted water until tender, then with a spoon or vegetable scoop hollow out the centre, leaving a wall half an inch or more in thickness.
Put these in a shallow baking-dish or pie-plate to keep hot, with a bit of butter and pepper in the bottom of each cup.
While these are cooking have also 1 pint of shelled fresh peas, pour over them sufficient boiling water to cover and boil until tender-from twenty to thirty minutes.
If the peas are not very sweet, add 1 teaspoon of sugar while boiling.
Let the water evaporate until the peas are nearly dry.
When done, season with salt and pepper, add 1 tablespoon of butter rubbed smooth with 1 rounded teaspoon of flour and 2 tablespoons of cream; stir until it thickens, and fill the turnip cups.
Have a hot platter ready, and when ready to serve them lift the cups carefully on to the platter with a spatula, taking care that they are not broken.
Garnish with springs of parsley, and serve.

Or this pea and carrot soup...

2 cups green peas, shelled, passed through meat chopper
2 carrots, peeled, sliced
5 cups water
1 cup milk, scalded
2 tablespoons butter
Seasonings to taste

Put all ingredients together in a stew pan. Cover. Let cook slowly for about 30 - 45 minutes. Then grub.

link

answered 22 Oct '09, 14:52

Kathleen's gravatar image

Kathleen
133116
accept rate: 0%

Hmmmmm Peas go great in cream sauces, you can add them to something like hamburger with cream of mushroom soup with a pasta.

I've been looking at recipes and it seems that peas are in there but not the main focal point.

I think the closest that I've seen was on the Food Network recipes list from users and Food Network chefs was: a couscous dish with peas. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/couscous-with-green-peas-mint-and-coriander-recipe/index.html

Or making a pea rissoto http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/red-wine-risotto-with-peas-recipe/index.html

I'm still looking Tyler Florence did a really cool looking Smashed potatoes with peas lemon and pear onions. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/smashed-new-potatoes-with-peas-lemon-and-pearl-onions-recipe/index.html

I would think that if you wanted peas to be the focus you could probably add a little more of them than called for.

Here is the search I got from food network http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=peas&fnSearchType=site

over 1300 hits came up, I hope this helps..... Mooch

link

answered 16 Oct '09, 02:41

oneandonemakesix's gravatar image

oneandonemak...
6533211
accept rate: 4%

klypos,

Try this old favorite. Find a recipe for cream peas (I think it's just peas in white sauce). Then serve it on toast. A good healthy main course. Put a drumstick on the plate and applesauce in a side dish with ice cream for desert and you have all the food groups.

link

answered 16 Oct '09, 04:04

Dean's gravatar image

Dean
1212
accept rate: 14%

Sorry the pea is not one of the tastest vegggies out there. Im sure there is some great dishes out there but, Why waste the time? Find new veggies to cook with there are some great rare vegetables out there try new things.

link

answered 16 Oct '09, 04:47

drazon's gravatar image

drazon
1411
accept rate: 0%

Not too long ago, I would have said the only thing to do with peas is throw them out and maybe a bird will eat some. I have since changed my mind, sort of. I like fried rice with peas. I think the best, and just about the only way to eat them, is fresh from the microwave. Yes! I said microwave. I like to get a bag of frozen green peas, dump them in a bowl, cover and nuke 'em for 30 seconds. Take them out and shake them up in the bowl and nuke 'em another 30 seconds. Shake and one more time in the microwave. Shake and then test one. Is it warm? Does it pop when you bite it? If so, they're done. If still cold, keep the heat and shake going til they are where you want them. Please don't overcook them. That totally destroys any illusion of freshness. There is no need for seasoning or oil. If you get it right, the pop of the peas will stand just fine on it's own.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 17:30

adenwar's gravatar image

adenwar
305798
accept rate: 0%

Blanch or steam fresh peas and add them to salad. It's a great substitute for high calorie toppings and adds a lots of flavor.

link

answered 22 Nov '09, 17:46

springtyme1's gravatar image

springtyme1
711
accept rate: 0%

Hey everyone-- I want to tell you about my new, favorite quick dish to make with peas. My mother loves it-- It's simply a peas, onion, and bacon combo. If you like that boxed bacon, as I do now, it's even less messy, healthier, and simpler. Even though I'm a trained chef, I hate a big clean up after a great meal.

The only time it takes is for the onion to soften in a little healthy olive oil or veg. oil or low cal butter -- or what I like a mixture of canola and low-cal butter (my favorite is Land o'Lakes) -- soften your onion then add peas and boxed bacon crunched into pieces. It is highly delicious. The peas take on the flavor of the bacon quickly, fry quickly and you have a wonderful dish that looks appetizing because of the mixture of colors and oniony, bacon-y aroma-- it's a great side dish to get your family screaming-- what is THAT YOU'RE cooking-- and just WHEN ARE WE EATING ANYWAY???!!

Professor Rhonda Cawthorn

link

answered 04 Jul '12, 19:09

ProfessorRhonda's gravatar image

ProfessorRhonda
1
accept rate: 0%

Rhonda Cawthorn, I tried your recipe with onion and leftover thick cut bacon and it is pretty good. I bet I could get folks who don't like peas to eat this. Thanks!

link

answered 21 Jan '13, 20:18

DaiseyMoonshine's gravatar image

DaiseyMoonshine
1
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×2

Asked: 16 Oct '09, 02:24

Seen: 7,367 times

Last updated: 21 Jan '13, 20:18