1
1

You know, I consider myself reasonable in the kitchen. My dad was an Italian chef so I have picked up on a few things here and there BUT what I want to know is how do you make meat go tender?

My fave Chinese restaurant cooks strips of beef, pork and chicken that literally melt in the mouth. No matter how long I marinate or cook meat, I can never get it to go tender like that.

asked 15 Oct '09, 14:00

Antonio%20Spinozzi's gravatar image

Antonio Spin...
112
accept rate: 0%

Season it and then smash it out. Always try to drain the meat because it causes to dry and get tender way easier. Some people would say to put it in the microwave but that only cooks it. Use a kitchen supple and smash it out, Usually I don't use different things but i have tried a few things myself.

link

answered 15 Oct '09, 19:20

James%204's gravatar image

James 4
69222
accept rate: 0%

Smack it around alot. If you put it between some saran wrap and take something heavy to it, like a hammer...dont go too crazy but tap it not too firm for a while and it will flatten and thin out, it tendorizes like no other!

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 02:27

Bonnie's gravatar image

Bonnie
811
accept rate: 0%

Well, you can take some meat tenderizer and sprinkle it on a tough piece of meat. Then with a meat tenderizer hammer you can literally beat the heck out of it. Also, you can boil the meat and get some stew sauce out of it, then put the meat in the oven. The stewing will make the meat tender.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 04:21

spragoo's gravatar image

spragoo
26611
accept rate: 4%

Depending on your recipe, you can also use a slow-cooker. I find that if you are cooking meat on a lower heat for a longer time in juices or sauce, you will almost always get a more tender meat.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 13:26

sweetharriot's gravatar image

sweetharriot
1261
accept rate: 7%

Most Asian Cuisines, especially east Indian and Chinese use meat tenderizer liquids and/or spices. You can find them in your local grocery stores. And as others have mentioned already, they use some form of meat torture device. I, however, do not like pounding and flattening expensive meat or tender spicing it up. I prefer to braise it with wine and/or vinegar than baking/grilling with some liquid will do the job just perfectly. The fond in the bottom of the pan will make one of the best gravies ever.

Back to Asian Cuisine, Restaurant food for the most part have precooked meat that is mixed with the sauce or recipe. So you can cook your meat as tender as you want it to be and then mix it with your sauce/stirfry. This of course does not apply to battered meat.

If you still insist on pounding your meat, cut excess fat, pound gently center out, make sure to follow the grain as much as possible, the final result should feel consistent allover, and the thickness should be the same. I've once flattened to about 1/32 " (0.5 mm ?) and then rolled some cheese, shrimp, and sesame seeds in it. I cooked it for a few minutes with a bit of red wine vinegar and the end result was heavenly.

link

answered 12 Dec '09, 18:07

dassouki's gravatar image

dassouki
533328
accept rate: 12%

It depends on the recipe first of all. Some recipes call for normal seasoning and some calls for marinating. Smacking is a good way to flatten it for even cooking. For juicy chicken or meat the key ingredient is right set of temperature and time. Over cooking can make the recipe dry or burnt and we all know the harms of under-cooking. If you keep an eye on meat while cooking and check the meat is cooked in a proper heat and time, you will always have the tender chicken for sure.

One more thing correct ingredients and spices can also helps in getting tasty meat or chicken recipes. Or in that matter, any recipe call for right amount of ingredients and temperature or cooking!

link

answered 02 Sep '13, 05:18

Sylvia_dewy's gravatar image

Sylvia_dewy
11
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×69
×34

Asked: 15 Oct '09, 14:00

Seen: 13,322 times

Last updated: 02 Sep '13, 05:18

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs