Looking for a good thyme substitute - I love the taste, but I'm in a situation where I can't get any for several weeks. What can I substitute to get such significant flavor with my filets?

asked 15 Oct '09, 02:36

Stephen's gravatar image

Stephen
112
accept rate: 0%

There is no real substitute, but sage will give an interesting complex flavor that complements most meats. If you are talking red meat, rosemary is good, especially with venison or lamb.

I found a substitute list that mentions savory as a substitute - for thyme, sage and rosmary.

I haven't tried savory at all ...

link

answered 19 Oct '09, 02:27

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

edited 24 Oct '09, 01:32

Try a variety of different things. Obviously nothing tastes exactly like thyme, but lots of things can you give a nice burst of interesting flavor.

Sage, rosemary, herbs de provence (especially in a wine sauce over your beef), all of these would be good choices.

I have a spice blend I love to put on beef that consists of ground mustard, chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Experiment with proportions to see what you like.

link

answered 07 Nov '09, 04:52

bslatner's gravatar image

bslatner
311
accept rate: 0%

I know this is going to sound strange but when I was in culinary school I played around with a lot of different spices and I think you should try mint I loved the contrast that it added to the meat paired with other spices it was very tasty.

link

answered 15 Oct '09, 03:38

Jamie's gravatar image

Jamie
1
accept rate: 0%

Oregano or basil add flavors similar to thyme. They also dry and store very well if you have a fresh supply that you want to save for later meals.

link

answered 22 Nov '09, 16:02

springtyme1's gravatar image

springtyme1
711
accept rate: 0%

Find the options for thyme substitution here

link

answered 21 Jun '12, 07:45

thyme%20substitute's gravatar image

thyme substi...
1
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×30

Asked: 15 Oct '09, 02:36

Seen: 25,777 times

Last updated: 21 Jun '12, 07:45

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs