3
1

Does anybody know how I can make my own stem ginger in syrup? I want some for a couple of different recipes, but can only find crystallised ginger.

Is it possible to somehow transform crystallised ginger into stem ginger in syrup? Can I put it in some sort of sugary syrup mixture for a while to achieve something comparable?

Or how do I make it from fresh ginger root?

EDIT: I did manage to find a (rather expensive!) jar of stem ginger in syrup yesterday in a specialist food market so the immediate crisis is over, but I will try Klypos's suggestion below and see how that works out anyway...

asked 22 May '10, 04:51

Ikkle%20Becca's gravatar image

Ikkle Becca
1.9k7813
accept rate: 22%

edited 02 Jun '10, 14:44

I wonder if you research some canning books or search for "canning ginger" on the internet if you will find how to preserve ginger root in a simple syrup. Would this possible be the same thing you are looking for?

(25 May '10, 19:41) Elizra

@Elizra - yeah, I guess it might be. I will have a look. Certainly the 'stem ginger in syrup' I am thinking of would probably count as a preservation method, almost like a jam-making technique in some ways...

(25 May '10, 20:59) Ikkle Becca

Unfortunately, most of the DIY recipes I have seen give a very bland product - they blanch the ginger to tenderize it, and all that boiling removes a lot of the flavor. The microwave method has the advantage that it is possible to cook the ginger really strongly without burning the product. You just have the hassle of waiting a day for the sugar to work through the ginger.

(04 Jun '10, 11:02) klypos ♦♦

You can get away with using fresh ginger like this -

peel about 2oz of ginger root and cut into julienne sticks (like McDonalds fries).

Put those in the bottom of a small glass dish and sprinkle over a teaspoon of sugar.

Put the lid on or cover with plastic film, microwave for 6 min on full power.

Don't open the dish - stand to cool, refrigerate for 24 hours.

Open it up, add two teaspoons of sugar and one and a half teaspoons of water. Cover it up again, put the dish back in the microwave for 3 min at full power. Let it cool and it is ready to use.

link

answered 25 May '10, 23:41

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

@klypos - And how long would it last? I mean, could I then transfer it to a glass jar in the fridge and use it over the following weeks and months?

(26 May '10, 00:05) Ikkle Becca
1

For safety, I would not recommend storing it for more than three days, refrigerated - that's my "official" view, and it is what would happen in a restaurant. In real life, sugar acts as a very good preservative. At home, if I had some left over, I would can it into a small sterilized jar and keep it at room temperature, and I would probably be happy to use that for up to ten days. If you refrigerate it can promote mold growth - but regulations would say refrigeration HAS to be recommended.

(26 May '10, 12:51) klypos ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×49
×1
×1

Asked: 22 May '10, 04:51

Seen: 8,423 times

Last updated: 28 Apr '11, 10:54

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs