My sister doesn't have any parchment paper around and wants to make biscotti. I have only made biscotti once and it didn't actually turn out that well and it was years ago. Every recipe she found says to line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Normally (for nearly anything else) I'd tell her just to use cooking spray and see how that worked. But, I don't know if that would make the biscotti "greasy"? I love eating store bought biscotti and I know that it is dry and crisp. Does anyone have any ideas? She has freezer paper--would that melt in the oven? Thanks!!

asked 22 Feb '10, 18:09

Elizra's gravatar image

Elizra
1.4k2511
accept rate: 11%

OK, I would say that parchment paper is the best there is to stop the biscotti sticking to the tray, but if your sister doesn't have any, and doesn't want to go out and buy some, there are some alternatives:

• Line the pan with edible rice paper (I think this is more authentic anyway!)

• You might be able to get away with wax paper but I wouldn't recommend it. It may well smoke and melt and make a very sticky mess! The manufacturers don't recommend using it in a hot oven, though I am sure she wouldn't be the first!

• You can also probably get away with other kinds of paper is they are well greased - I found one reference on the Internet to someone using copy paper and brown paper bags! I guess she tries those at her own risk though!

• Another alternative could be aluminium foil, again make sure it is well greased.

• Going without a lining paper at all should work, but grease the pan well, and they may well still stick. Greasing the pan, with butter, and then coating it with flour (knocking off the excess) is probably the closest option to mimicking the paper.

Hope one of those helps!

link

answered 22 Feb '10, 20:41

Ikkle%20Becca's gravatar image

Ikkle Becca
1.9k7813
accept rate: 22%

Thanks a lot! I'll send the answer to her. LOL on the wax paper. She just got a brand new beautiful range (hence the baking) and would not want to smoke it out. She ended up making snicker doodles today, but hopefully she'll venture to biscotti soon, as I am not a huge fan of snickerdoodles.

(22 Feb '10, 22:48) Elizra

Klypos how do you feel about silcone cookware?

(22 Feb '10, 23:28) Kris ♦♦

"Silicone cookware" - frankly, I don't know what people mean. As I understand things, silicone is a partially synthetic rubber compound, which is only useful for making jelly moulds and the like. If we're talking PTFE, it is a plastic compound which is unusually thermally stable - so I don't mind using utensils coated with it, although I do like to heat those vessels for a while at cooking temperatures before I use them for cooking food - then I coat them lightly with Canola. That's how to avoid any undesirable residues from the manufacturing process.

(23 Feb '10, 01:02) klypos ♦♦
1

Biscotti - that's Italian for almond merengues, yes?

Use aluminum foil - cover a baking sheet with it. Oil it lightly with Canola - brush it across with your fingers to cover the surface, but you don't want to see it pooling anywhere. Put it in the oven at 410 deg.F for an hour. Let it cool, then use it for the biscotti. I went around a factory in Italy - they use aluminum trays in a moving oven, and a little oil, those things just fall off the trays at the end of the line ...

(23 Feb '10, 01:12) klypos ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×1
×1
×1

Asked: 22 Feb '10, 18:09

Seen: 6,486 times

Last updated: 22 Feb '10, 22:17