4
3

What is the cheapest food I can live off of?

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 14 Oct '09, 22:43

amcfad2's gravatar image

amcfad2
31213
accept rate: 0%

edited 03 Dec '09, 22:50

Kris's gravatar image

Kris ♦♦
1.1k5713

1234next »

Dried legumes, such as lentils, kidney beans, etc. and dried whole grains are inexpensive, healthy, filling, and if cooked well, flavorful. You can often find vegetables in bulk, which will cut down your costs, and add some variety to your meals.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 15 Oct '09, 03:31

idavr%201's gravatar image

idavr 1
211
accept rate: 0%

I've been super broke the past 3 months and have made an ART OF $1 meals. I have several suggestions not listed on these pages. Probably because I literally spent hours at the grocery store analyzing foods, their nutrition and the prices.

I totally agree with all the above, but I have a few 'not mentioned' ones! For example:

1)You can go to the freezer section and get your store's brands of frozen waffles or pancakes. Get the 'buttermilk' ones. You'll be amazed when you read the nutrition labels on waffles! And a one time buy of cheap jelly or syrup if you want it. It comes out for me at 88cents a meal! 2) look at your stores brands of brick cheese. Most (including myself) never thought of cheese being cheap. But it is! If you live alone, you can slice up cheese about 5 times per 16oz of cheese brick. I never knew how VERY filling a plate of cheese is! I get colby-jack every time I go. It's right at $1/meal. 3) Look in the frozen foods section for pre-made burritos. At this moment at my store in Iowa, there are large ones and smaller ones. It doesn't matter which you buy it will be right at $1.10 per meal. 4) I'm like everyone else about rice, but I LOVE CHICKEN! So, I buy a stewing chicken, 2 large bags of long grain rice, 3 cans carrots (or frozen carrots) and literally make around 17 cups of rice all at once! It's wonderful chicken and rice with great nutrition. I freeze individual dishes of it so I don't have to cook any more. I end up with about 18 meals out of this concoction! I absolutely KNOW this is less than $1 per meal because I've never spent $18 to make it! Here's simple EASY instructions: Boil the chicken, keep the broth, set the chicken aside and de-bone it when it cools. In the mean time, cook the 8-9 cups of rice your own way (we all argue how to cook rice). The chicken broth sinks right into the rice for great taste. When the rice is done, add your chunks of chicken meat, chopped carrots and you're done! One afternoons project for 18 meals isn't bad! Now, if you're like me the first time you make it, you won't have that many bowl sized dishes to freeze with. Voila! Use baggies! It works!

link

answered 02 Jun '11, 17:50

Pennie77's gravatar image

Pennie77
412
accept rate: 0%

There are a lot of cheap foods that you live off. Peanut butter is cheap and will last a long time. You can do peanut butter toast and peanut butter sanwiches.

Another cheap thing is Ramen Noodles. Most of the time they are under a quarter and you just add water.

Another idea is Mac and Cheese. You buy the box and can just add milk.

Another thing is potted meat. You buy it will the chili and things. ts like under 50 cents a jar. Add that with some crackers andt here you go.

Another idea is bean and cheese tacos. Make you a pan of pinto beans and then mash them. Roll the beans up with some cheese in a tortilla.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 14 Oct '09, 22:45

Elicia%20Maxwell's gravatar image

Elicia Maxwell
512
accept rate: 0%

Um, what you save in food bills you will make up in doctors bills plus more if all you eat are processed foods, yuck!

(20 Jan '10, 04:06) Elizra

Pasta is a great choice. You can add sauce, meat, butter, etc to the noodles. Bread is a good side to this meal that is also very cheap. Another affordable meal is peanut butter and fluff sandwiches, which is peanut butter and marshmellow fluff that comes in a jar. My favorite is oodles and noodles but those are not good at all. If your an outdoorsman/outdoorswoman it can never hurt the pocket to go fishing or digging up shellfish if you live near the ocean.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 15 Oct '09, 06:35

jaredsylvester's gravatar image

jaredsylvester
211
accept rate: 0%

There are many foods items to live off at low cost, egg noodles, and veg noodles with green leafs and foods with pluses, the green leaf of drum stick is very healthy and cheap its contain iron, and carrot slice with bread its very taste, healthy and cheap

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 15 Oct '09, 07:12

dhanakeerthi's gravatar image

dhanakeerthi
211
accept rate: 0%

Some cheap foods I've tried, especially in college are Ramen noodles, boxed mac & cheese, spaghetti and meat sauce, rice and beans. A spin on Ramen noodles if you don't like soup, is to drain the water and fry the noodles in butter and add the flavor pack to taste. To cut out the salt, use less of the flavor pack. This is great with any type of meat.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 16 Oct '09, 17:44

fevjaz's gravatar image

fevjaz
211
accept rate: 0%

One of the cheapest and healthiest meals that you can possibly have for yourself is Pasta. You only need the pasta and some sauce for a meal that you can have many leftovers from. Get creative and make your own sauce from a little cheese, small amount of milk and a tablespoon or two of butter. You will be surprised how much food comes from one box of pasta and how simple and cheap it can be to make your own sauce to go with it. Pasta is not required to be a fancy dish, just filling.

The only other suggestion for a cheap way to eat is by selectively picking out frozen dinners. I say selectively because some of them can be rather unhealthy or overpriced, but if you are cautious and shop store sales too you can really find a great deal on a moderately healthy product. This would be a way of having a cheap but well-balanced meal.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 14 Oct '09, 23:22

carolinesmith58's gravatar image

carolinesmith58
461
accept rate: 33%

Beans and rice are cheap as well, and you can get creative by adding meats to it once in a while as well.

I caution you about boxed foods like mac and cheese and ramen and the like, they are high in salt content.

Also a lot of prepared foods contains things like soy and msg, but if those products do not bother you, then you shouldn't have a problem

you can take Ramen, cut the seasoning packet in half, add some mixed vegetables, and maybe even some pork or sausage, or chicken and make yourself a lo mein that is filling and delicious.

Watch the discounted rack as well, I've picked up some great bargains because a can was dented or a product was discontinued as well.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 15 Oct '09, 00:39

oneandonemakesix's gravatar image

oneandonemak...
6533211
accept rate: 4%

I knew someone at college who lived on boiled brown rice with a little seasoning and gravy - he used to buy a sackful at a time. Red beans and rice is traditionally the cheapest thing.

You can make great sauces from canned tomatoes and onions, with a little spice to make things interesting. Try frying some onion in oil with coriander, adding chopped tomatoes a little at a time so that they brown nicely. Makes boiled potatoes interesting ...

Get the hang of saucemaking, and you can turn around any old boring meal and make it tasty.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 15 Oct '09, 01:00

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

buy locally and in bulk, and make your own foods.buying in bulk means a discount price. Peanut butter sandwiches, quinoa, frozen vegetables, fruits, salad, homemade soup, beans, tvp, tofu, lentils, nut loafs, couscous, pre-made potatoes in a bag, rice, plant milk.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 15 Oct '09, 02:14

cio872000's gravatar image

cio872000
311
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×64
×2
×1

Asked: 14 Oct '09, 22:43

Seen: 59,296 times

Last updated: 31 Dec '12, 20:02

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs