I have a recipe for pesto that has pine nuts as an ingredient. Pine nuts are relatively expensive, so I was wondering if there are other types of nuts that can be substituted for pine nuts.

asked 27 Nov '09, 17:28

avidlcfan's gravatar image

avidlcfan
177115
accept rate: 0%

edited 27 Nov '09, 21:34

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015

You could try using cashews, walnuts or almonds. For the cashews you can buy the broken bits, which are less expensive than the whole cashews.

link

answered 27 Nov '09, 19:48

runtavi's gravatar image

runtavi
1821
accept rate: 10%

Walnuts are as traditional as pine nuts in most Italian pesto recipes. Macadamias, pecans and pistachio nuts work well, but chopped roasted peanuts are about as good as anything in pesto - and very cheap!

link

answered 27 Nov '09, 21:32

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

using peanuts instead of pine nuts in pesto saves loads. now to find a source of cheap basil

(04 May '10, 21:31) Kris ♦♦

Just buy the cheapest green basil pesto you can find, and "soup it up". Honestly, unless you live in Italy, it ain't worth the work. I got two hydroponic basil plants from my local supermarket last week, and they gave about half a standard jar of pesto. Yea, I have planted the rooty bits, and one is surviving, so I might get some more... but the basilic pesto flavor does not diminish when oiled in the jar. Conoisseurs might be able to detect the use of EV olive oil in a completely fresh batch. WTH you want to eat tonight? ...

(04 May '10, 22:39) klypos ♦♦

@runtavi No, they are not

link

answered 07 Feb '10, 03:51

matt's gravatar image

matt
111
accept rate: 0%

edited 07 Feb '10, 18:20

Kris's gravatar image

Kris ♦♦
1.1k5713

I find the best alternative is shelled raw unsalted sunflower seeds which I buy in Canada at a bulk food store for 70 cents per 100g vs over 9 dollars per 100g for pine nuts. They will pestle to give a similar oiliness and texture, and the flavour; like pine nuts, is delicate. I find walnuts and others too strong and also the wrong texture. I will use just sunflower seed, though I also fool traditionalists by using 1/4 expensive pine nuts and 3/4 sunflower seed. It tastes the same for a lot less expense.

link

answered 06 Aug '10, 13:15

John's gravatar image

John
111
accept rate: 0%

I use sunflower seeds, too. The results are heavenly.

link

answered 26 Oct '10, 19:40

Elissa's gravatar image

Elissa
111
accept rate: 0%

Pine nuts are the best. Sure, you can use substitutes but the results will be inferior. It depends on who is going to be eating the pesto. If it's some undiscerning diner who scoffs anything up, then you could add just about anything, even peanuts, as a cheap substitute. If it's for anyone with a more sophisticated palate then you need to use pine nuts.

Substitutes are all very well but if you don't want to pay the price of making something the classical way, then maybe you should just make something else. I can imagine that a good 'pesto' could be made using coriander and peanuts etc. Must give that a try sometime. Thanks for the idea!

link

answered 19 Dec '10, 08:05

Not%20Delia's gravatar image

Not Delia
1803
accept rate: 0%

The Italians do make a pesto from broad leaf parsley ...

(21 Dec '10, 03:24) klypos ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×30
×3
×1

Asked: 27 Nov '09, 17:28

Seen: 19,976 times

Last updated: 19 Dec '10, 08:05

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs