I'm planning on making some sushi at home, but I dont know what kind of rice to use. Whats the best kind to use for sushi?

asked 27 Nov '09, 00:08

joejenkins's gravatar image

joejenkins
51223
accept rate: 0%

As the answers say, Japanese and California rice are great; however, why stop there, try basmati, or jasmine rice. It won't taste the same, but perhaps if you mix a bit of basmati with your Japanese rice you'll have your own secret recipe. I always thought of Sushi as playdough, No rules; basic ingredients are, sticky, rice, veggies, some form of meat, wasabi, and pickled ginger.

(11 Dec '09, 12:04) dassouki

The best rice to use for making sushi is the short-grain variety called, appropriately, Japanese rice. It is high in gluten, making it "sticky", which is essential for making sushi. Japanese rice is readily available in the international foods section of most major supermarket chains.

link

answered 27 Nov '09, 00:30

avidlcfan's gravatar image

avidlcfan
177115
accept rate: 0%

I'm really into sushi and make it quite a lot. To do it properly you must use short grained rice. Most short grained sushi rice is produced in Japan and California. It's possible to substitute Italian risotto rice, because it's also short grained and plump in appearance.

You can use basmati or other long grained rice but it's just not authentic or correct. When someone suggested doing such a thing on my food blog, my Japanese friends threw up their hands in horror at the very idea.

Here's my recipe for making sushi rice.

http://www.notdelia.co.uk/sushi-rice/

link

answered 10 Dec '10, 07:30

Not%20Delia's gravatar image

Not Delia
1803
accept rate: 0%

edited 11 Dec '10, 13:42

Kris's gravatar image

Kris ♦♦
1.1k5713

any kind of short grain rice. If it looks short n plump, that's perfect. Just make sure you add the right quantity of water, because it tends to need less than other varieties, and if its mushy it will be awful in sushi!

link

answered 27 Nov '09, 09:06

jasmin's gravatar image

jasmin
591
accept rate: 0%

I think it's fairly critical that you do use Japanese rice if at all possible. The results just don't tend to be as good with 'any old' short grain rice

(26 Jan '10, 19:03) Ikkle Becca

That's not the case, risotto rice is a perfectly good substitute for japonica or any other sushi rice. I would agree with the statement that any kind of short and plump rice is suitable for the purpose. I don't know why jasmin got a negative vote for suggesting something that's correct.

(11 Dec '10, 19:14) Not Delia
-1

Japanese rice is what you're looking for, add a bit of sugar and vinegar to the water and you'll have some tasty grass seed in no time. Don't forget to add a pinch of salt!

link

answered 27 Nov '09, 07:04

Comstock%27s%20Aspidistra's gravatar image

Comstock's A...
223537
accept rate: 0%

You don't really need to add any salt or sugar to the water.And the vinegar should be added after cooking and once the rice has rested for about 10 minutes.

(26 Jan '10, 19:02) Ikkle Becca
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×17

Asked: 27 Nov '09, 00:08

Seen: 37,527 times

Last updated: 11 Dec '10, 13:42

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs