My family wants a deep fried turkey this Thanksgiving. Which cooking oil is the best for deep frying a 25 lb turkey?

asked 25 Nov '09, 08:24

GarlicLover's gravatar image

GarlicLover
212
accept rate: 0%

sounds healthy. Do you follow up with deep fried mars bars?

(30 Dec '09, 19:43) Rich Seller

Peanut oil is best for deep frying a turkey its can withstand very high temperatures without burning and has a nice light flavor which does not get in the way of the food that is cooked in it.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 14:31

Kathy%20Altholz's gravatar image

Kathy Altholz
361
accept rate: 0%

Canola oil may be used, but almost any form of vegetable oil would be fine. To aqcuire your desired taste, I'd recommend frying a small piece of turkey in the different types of oils that you have and go from there.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 09:48

Kenneth%20Mauldin's gravatar image

Kenneth Mauldin
31112
accept rate: 0%

Peanut oil is the best for deep frying a turkey because it does not degrade at high temperatures. You can buy it in boxes that are perfect quanity for frying a turkey.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 18:04

Newday%201's gravatar image

Newday 1
4112
accept rate: 0%

Peanut oil is what I've always been told to use, and now there are giant jugs of them that you can buy at grocery stores.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 21:23

Comstock%27s%20Aspidistra's gravatar image

Comstock's A...
223537
accept rate: 0%

Deep frying anything large requires very high heat so you want oils that have high smoking points, the temperature at which the oil begins to burn, and a lot of oil. Peanut oil has one of the highest smoking points of all the commercially available cooking oils out there and is also pretty cheap in bulk. Safflower oil has a smoke point close to peanut oil and can be used instead, it is lighter in taste and texture in my opinion, however it would be a bit expensive to use for frying a whole turkey. Canola oil has a lower smoking point but can also be used. Stay away from corn and olive oil as they have relatively low smoking points and if you are not careful your bird will taste burnt when you pull it out of the fryer.

link

answered 26 Nov '09, 02:28

PPremise's gravatar image

PPremise
1611
accept rate: 6%

I've only been involved in deep frying just a few turkeys, but from what I remember it was recommended that we use canola oil. I've been told that corn oil and sunflower oil are also some of the better oils to use when deep frying the turkey.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 09:18

Redhdchic24's gravatar image

Redhdchic24
20111
accept rate: 0%

I never heard of deep fried turkey before moving to Florida. But I can tell you from speaking with many many people here who make them every year, the preferred choice is Peanut Oil.

link

answered 26 Nov '09, 02:35

Julia's gravatar image

Julia
48112
accept rate: 5%

its my first year frying a turkey also So what i need to know is what oil is best for some reason clear oil is cheaper what do u think taste better...?

link

answered 20 Nov '11, 22:29

yoshi87's gravatar image

yoshi87
11
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×24
×11
×7

Asked: 25 Nov '09, 08:24

Seen: 12,292 times

Last updated: 20 Nov '11, 22:29

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs