How soon before my Thanksgiving feast must I remove the turkey from the freezer if the turkey is 12.5 pounds? Thanks in advance!

asked 24 Nov '09, 00:48

Liz%20W's gravatar image

Liz W
2111
accept rate: 0%

edited 24 Nov '09, 02:18

Kris's gravatar image

Kris ♦♦
1.1k5713

The packaging on my turkey said

8-12 pounds 1-2 days

12-16 pounds 2-3 days

Mine is 11.5 pounds and I put mine in the refrigerator yesterday afternoon to start defrosting because my refrigerator is extra cold (so it might take longer) and I want it fully defrosted by Wed. night so I can cook it early Thur. morning.

If I were you I'd take it out of the freezer today! :)

link

answered 24 Nov '09, 02:19

Sabrina's gravatar image

Sabrina ♦
1.5k5821
accept rate: 14%

If you are thawing in the refrigerator allow 5 hours per pound(in this case 2.5-3 days)

If you are thawing in cold water allow 1/2 hour per pound(in this case 6-7 hours)

link

answered 24 Nov '09, 02:23

Kris's gravatar image

Kris ♦♦
1.1k5713
accept rate: 25%

Ah! This is a much better answer. :)

(24 Nov '09, 07:23) Sabrina ♦

Submerge the frozen bird, still wrapped, in a large bowl of cold water. Make sure to change the water every thirty minutes to keep it cold. This is the only safe way to keep the temperature low enough to discourage bacterial growth. This could take several hours. I would definitely start the day before roasting to allow the final thawing to take place in the refrigerator overnight.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 06:17

4dramamama's gravatar image

4dramamama
126112
accept rate: 0%

Yes you can thaw a turkey in cold water as long as you keep it wrapped up and you continue to change the water and like above stated every 30 minutes for health reasons. Time wise it should be about 30 minutes of thawing per pound. It is still recommended to thaw out a turkey in the fridge though as it is the safest process, however this takes much longer its about 24 hours per pound of turkey.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 06:49

Redhdchic24's gravatar image

Redhdchic24
20111
accept rate: 0%

First of all you put the frozen bird in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Then you take the bird out and put it in sink with cold water until thawed. It should not take too long. Change the water out a couple times. Then when thawed placed back in refrigerator until you are ready to cook. Never just let it sit out at room temperature to let thaw because the turkey can go bad.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 15:45

Williamd7251's gravatar image

Williamd7251
211
accept rate: 0%

Thaw it in cold water that completely covers the turkey. All parts of the turkey should be submerged. Allow about 30 minutes per pound to get it completely thawed. Lots of good directions are on butterball.com if you need more help.

link

answered 25 Nov '09, 17:59

Newday%201's gravatar image

Newday 1
4112
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×39
×24
×23
×4

Asked: 24 Nov '09, 00:48

Seen: 1,387 times

Last updated: 24 Nov '09, 02:23

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs