I'm looking for a good flour substitute to make fried chicken for someone who can't eat wheat. Any suggestions for a breading flour substitute?

asked 14 Oct '09, 17:20

RobinS's gravatar image

RobinS
2263410
accept rate: 0%

My family uses several products to replace wheat flour in recipes for fried chicken, tempura vegetables, and so on. For a sturdy, crunchy coating you can use yellow or white cornmeal. For a finer textured coating, you can use tapioca starch or rice flour.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 19:06

Martin%201's gravatar image

Martin 1
561
accept rate: 50%

I have used cornmeal in the past like a previous poster suggested & it does work. But I really like rice flour, especially for stuff like this! It is expensive, but is becoming easier to find, and is easy to make at home! A spice grinder or coffee bean grinder work perfect... just put some rice in & grind it down to the consistency that you want! MUCH more affordable!

When it comes to baking though plain rice flour doesn't quite do it. My grandma used this flour mix for baking...

2 part rice flour 1 part cornstarch, tapioca starch or potato starch 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum per cup of flour mix

Here is a site with other suggestions as well... http://www.csaceliacs.org/recipes/FlourFormulas.php

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 20:02

everythingyourmamamade.com's gravatar image

everythingyo...
861
accept rate: 25%

I also agree rice flour is great. You can also mix rice flour with cornmeal so it is not so overpowering. I have mixed corn meal with flour for fried chicken before and it turns out great! Nice and crisp with added flavor.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 20:37

cookingkitten's gravatar image

cookingkitten
213
accept rate: 0%

If you choose to use cornmeal, check that it doesn't have any flour or wheat mixed in as a binder. My husband is a celiac, who can't eat wheat, and we've learned that this can be an issue. Just read the ingredients carefully.

Another approach is to dip in cornstarch. This works better with something that is going to be fried. It does not work well if you are baking. For example, one of our favorite recipes is for thin pork chops that are first dipped in egg, and then cornstarch, and then sauted. They come out gently crispy and brown. We usually have them with a tamari (a form of soy with no wheat, but check the label) and pineapple sauce.

link

answered 15 Oct '09, 05:41

food%20lover's gravatar image

food lover
211
accept rate: 0%

You can find "rice flour" at some grocery stores. It cooks very nicely and is a perfect option if you are allergic to wheat flour.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 19:17

spragoo's gravatar image

spragoo
26611
accept rate: 4%

I agree, Rice flour is one of the best things to use. If you can't find rice flour take rice cakes and grind them up and add some seasoning to them, or there are several rice cereals without wheat flour in them.

Many grocery stores have a health food aisle and you can find varieties of flour, rice milk, and cereals in them.

I would also recommend if you want a bread crumb type coating, get bread like millet bread or rice bread and put it in a food processor for bread crumbs.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 19:32

oneandonemakesix's gravatar image

oneandonemak...
6533211
accept rate: 4%

If you use or can find a wheat-free bread that you like, you could dry out a few slices of that, mash it into crumbs, and use the crumbs as breading. Alternatively, since you want flour anyway, maybe you can use wheat-free bread mix, like this http://www.amazon.com/Pamelas-Products-Wheat-Free-Gluten-Free-19-Ounce/dp/B000DZFMEQ

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 22:01

Judoix's gravatar image

Judoix
101113
accept rate: 4%

Nobody mentioned chestnut flour. I was on holiday in Sardinia recently. They use a lot of chestnut flour traditionally, and it makes really nice bakery goods.

I was looking for something like this recently, and some of the chestnut flour recipes sound great. The Recipe Puppy found lots ...

link

answered 19 Oct '09, 20:58

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

This website has some good information of substitutions:http://www.healthy-recipes-for-your-family.com/flour-substitutes.html

To avoid wheat flour, use this substitution:

2 parts rice flour 2 parts oat flour 1 part buckwheat flour

link

answered 14 Nov '09, 05:04

UltravioletCatastrophe's gravatar image

UltravioletC...
186114
accept rate: 0%

thanks so much got some great ideas for a wheat free client - I'm making lamb keftedes with mint and Tatziki. I must try chestnut flour!

marika www.marikas-kitchen.com

link

answered 26 Mar '10, 21:29

marika's gravatar image

marika
1
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×30
×7

Asked: 14 Oct '09, 17:20

Seen: 25,050 times

Last updated: 26 Mar '10, 21:29

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs