1
1

I just bought an electric knife for my turkey and my husband thinks I'm going overboard. I'm thinking of it as an investment. :) Not that I spent that much on it anyway though. So I'd like to know a couple of things from those of you who have electric knives:

Is using an electric knife a lot better/easier than a regular knife?

Are you glad you purchased one or was it something you used once and never again?

What are other things you have used your electric knife for?

asked 19 Nov '09, 08:40

Sabrina's gravatar image

Sabrina ♦
1.5k5821
accept rate: 14%

edited 24 Nov '09, 16:06

Kris's gravatar image

Kris ♦♦
1.1k5713

It depends how good your carving skills are with a regular knife, as to whether you can get value from an electric carving knife. I use the electric knife quite a lot ... I'm a dreadful carver!

The electric knife does have plenty of uses besides carving meat, although some of them usually invalidate the guarantee, like carving frozen meat into smaller portions (it doesn't do the knife a lot of good).

Electric knives are great for slicing bread, and for cutting those vegetables which are really hard work when they are raw, like turnips, swedes, squash and large sweet potatoes. When you have made the "big cuts" with the electric knife, you go on to finish the preparation with a regular knife.

A lot of the time you only want to use half a swede. You can easily cut one in half with an electric knife, then cover the cut face of one half with plastic film to keep it for later. You can do the job with an ordinary knife, but cutting a raw swede in half can be very hard work.

link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 20 Nov '09, 16:20

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

Ah! Thanks for the other ways to use my electric knife!

(21 Nov '09, 21:54) Sabrina ♦

I've now carved the turkey for the past two Thanksgivings, and I can say without a doubt that the electric knife made it way easier. The first year I used a traditional carving set that was pretty sharp, but when I hit the occasional spot of tough skin, I would end up hacking away. The electric knife just glides through and requires little pushing, so you can focus on making nice, even slices. We don't use it for anything else (yet) but we will certainly be using it again this year.

link

answered 21 Nov '09, 18:20

OregonJunco's gravatar image

OregonJunco
211
accept rate: 0%

Yeah I like the idea of even slices too.

(21 Nov '09, 21:53) Sabrina ♦

I am a knife enthusiast and own several types of electric carvers and high end professional knives. If I am baking or frying a turkey I only use the electric knife if I want to make quick use of the turkey. Meaning, are you one of those people that take almost all of the meat off the turkey before setting it on the table? If you are then the electric knife might is best way to go. A professional grade carving knife with an extremely sharp edge gives cleaner and more precise cuts, so if the turkey is going to be continuously cut throughout the meal electric isn't the best.

Also, consider safety when picking out the right knife. Most electric knives on the market plug in to be used. However, if you look at kitchen supply stores or shop around online, you can find some great battery operated carvers.

link

answered 21 Nov '09, 21:07

Brandon's gravatar image

Brandon
912
accept rate: 0%

Yep I like to cut all the meat of before serving the turkey. :) Ah, I didn't know battery operated carvers existed, thanks for that new info.

(21 Nov '09, 21:52) Sabrina ♦

For cutting things like roasted meat I found the electrical knife quite useful. For anything else I don't think we ever bother getting it out. On the other hand using a sharp knife is just a bit slower and more precise in my opinion, plus you are honing your knife skills. A good knife in the same price range as your electrical knife is probably a better investment with more uses. I would generally oppose to buying a kitchen gadget with pretty much just one use - but hey, sometimes it's tough to resist, right? :-)

link

answered 19 Nov '09, 09:54

Voy's gravatar image

Voy
5104611
accept rate: 12%

I own an electric knife and it definitely has saved me some time on cutting up that turkey, I also like to use it for cutting up slices of freshly made loafs of bread. But if you have good carving technique and the turkey is moist enough then i'm sure that cutting a turkey the traditional way can't be so horrible.

link

answered 24 Nov '09, 09:22

Redhdchic24's gravatar image

Redhdchic24
20111
accept rate: 0%

The only thing that can compete with an electric knife is a super well-sharpened chef's knife. The advantage to the electric knife is that you never have to sharpen it. I am extremely happy with mine and use it to carve roast chicken, roast beef, roast pork, and any large cut of meat. We eat a lot of roasts, so I am a happy cutter.

link

answered 24 Nov '09, 18:55

Peggy_oh's gravatar image

Peggy_oh
611
accept rate: 0%

Electric knives look and sound ridiculous at the dinner table when you use them so if you are going to use it, carve the turkey in the kitchen prior to bringing the bird out.

A super sharp steel or ceramic knife does the job nicely, even at the table and adds a bit of serving savvy if you are practiced with it. Individual requests can be handled on the spot this way.

You can do a hack job of butchering with an electric knife or blade knife if you dont know how to carve any turkey to start with. An electric knife DOES NOT make you and expert automatically. There are some great videos on the internet covering this.

link

answered 25 Nov '10, 17:49

RomanMCM's gravatar image

RomanMCM
1
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×23
×5
×3
×1

Asked: 19 Nov '09, 08:40

Seen: 3,371 times

Last updated: 25 Nov '10, 17:49

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs