It's been a while since I've made Rice Krispy Treats. Everytime I've made them recently they turn out rock hard. I'm not sure how to describe it, except that when you take a bite they break apart like eating ice cubes rather than have any give or smoosh to like a soft cookie. I followed the recipe on the box and use fresh ingredients and butter. How do I make them so that they are softer?

asked 04 Nov '09, 10:52

Sabrina's gravatar image

Sabrina ♦
1.5k5821
accept rate: 14%

It sounds like you might be cooking the marshmallows and butter too long, that the temperature is getting too hot and you are getting to a candy stage. Cook them until the marshmellows are just barely melted, and then take the pan off the stove while you mix in the rice krispies.

link

answered 05 Nov '09, 03:14

thursdaysgeek's gravatar image

thursdaysgeek
480126
accept rate: 8%

Ah! That totally makes sense, thank you!

(07 Nov '09, 08:26) Sabrina ♦

I have the same issue. I have always suspected that it was due to my eating of marshmallows during the cooking.

link

answered 07 Nov '09, 03:43

stimms's gravatar image

stimms
411
accept rate: 0%

Don't let the marshmallow's and butter boil. Cook it very slowly and keep stirring the entire time. As soon as the mixture is almost completely melted and marshmallow's are the size of peas or smaller, add the rice crispys and get it off of the stove and into your serving dish.

link

answered 22 Nov '09, 15:51

springtyme1's gravatar image

springtyme1
711
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×10

Asked: 04 Nov '09, 10:52

Seen: 4,470 times

Last updated: 22 Nov '09, 15:51

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs