Seems no matter how air tight of a container that I use left over potatoes, baked, or fried go black in the fridge. I try to make just enough for the meal but sometimes ahve leftovers, what can I do to prevent potatoes from going black in the fridge. Mooch

asked 22 Oct '09, 01:12

oneandonemakesix's gravatar image

oneandonemak...
6533211
accept rate: 4%

I've been researching this and think I finally came up with an answer, and that is that if you cooked potatoes are turning black, it might be because they are being stored at a temperature that is too cold.

There is also a reason that peeled uncooked potatoes turn black as well and this is what can be done to help that

Once you have peeled each potato add it to a chilled water solution that has either concentrated lemon juice or white vinegar.? It only takes a tablespoon of the acidic lemon juice or vinegar per half gallon of water and this helps slow down the oxidation.? Also, fill up the container so there is not much air left and seal it before placing back in the refrigerator.<

http://www.hungrymonster.com/FoodFacts/Food_Facts.cfm?Phrase_vch=Potatoes&fid=9978

While I still wonder if Air could be a cause, and would still like any input of things I could try as well, this could be a major contributor, as I do tend to keep the refridgerator at a colder temp in our house.

link

answered 22 Oct '09, 07:14

oneandonemakesix's gravatar image

oneandonemak...
6533211
accept rate: 4%

Raw peeled potatoes go brown in air, in the same way as apples, but much slower - that is why the same things work for taters as apples to stop discoloration. If they go black, it takes much longer - or there is another cause associated with traces of metal. If adding lemon juice or vinegar works to stop blackening, it is making complexes with the traces of transition metals left when you cut or peel the taters.

(26 Oct '09, 02:47) klypos ♦♦

A while back, I had a lot of trouble with potatoes going black during cooking and on storage.

Believe it or not, I finally worked out that it was a new set of kitchen knives I had bought. They looked beautiful, really shiny "chrome steel" finish.

Use them to cut or peel potatoes, and those taters would come out of the pot with black bits, and more would appear on storage.

I went back to my old and worn knives and the problem disappeared - no blackening.

I am a chemist who used to work for a metallurgy consultancy, but it is beyond my ken as to what causes the problem.

I suggest you try using the oldest and dullest looking knife in the box, and see what happens.

link

answered 25 Oct '09, 21:16

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

Wow that is really crazy.

(26 Oct '09, 08:54) Sabrina ♦

answer lies with knives ! same as if you cut a lettuce head with a metal knife it goes brown and mouldy - same with potatoes. use one of those new plastic heavy duty vege knives and presto problem solved !!!

link

answered 24 Dec '09, 07:59

Cath's gravatar image

Cath
111
accept rate: 0%

Do potatoes have a lot of tannin? I have been researching recipes for ageing wood. Iron will be absorbed into a week acid like vinegar and then can be sprayed onto new wood to achieve a grey weathered look. The iron reacts with tannins in the wood to produce this colour. It sounds like iron from the steel knife is reacting with tannins in the potatoes. Using lemon juice etc seems to be collecting the iron like the vinegar I was using to make my iron solution for weathering my wood.This also begs the question what about stainless steel cookware. I wandered here accidentally while thinking about natural sources of iron and made the link between iron and black/grey problem in potatoes.

link

answered 24 May, 21:23

Katdunk's gravatar image

Katdunk
1
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×13

Asked: 22 Oct '09, 01:12

Seen: 5,172 times

Last updated: 24 May, 21:23

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs