How warm does water need to be when dissolving yeast? Can it be too hot? How can I tell if it is the right temperature if I don't have a thermometer?

asked 14 Oct '09, 16:13

Megan's gravatar image

Megan
11
accept rate: 0%

If you do not have a thermometer to test the water temperature for dissolving yeast in; just dropped water on inside of your wrist to test. When it feels warm but not hot -- like a warmed milk from a baby bottle -- it should be good. Another way that I have heard to test the temperature is by taking a teaspoon full of warm water and putting it up to your chin. If it feels slightly warm, it's perfect for dissolving yeast. I like to use an Instant Read Thermometer which I find to be perfect for me (110-115 degrees is perfect).

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 16:25

Kari's gravatar image

Kari
111
accept rate: 0%

The temperature should be 110 - 115 degrees F. Anything above 120 F the yeast starts dying, and at 140 F all the yeast is surely dead.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 16:26

RonaldTriangle's gravatar image

RonaldTriangle ♦
815
accept rate: 33%

Temperature should be between 105 deg to 120 deg. amy hotter will start to kill the yeast. I do not recommend guessing at the temperature. Yeast is very sensitive when it comes to that. If you are unsure of the temp. and you are making bread or something bread like I recommend an alternative to dissolving the yeast. Mix the yeast with half the flour then mix with warm water and let set for 5 min, then continue with recipe. This helps protect the yeast from water that is to warm.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 16:31

dblbigd's gravatar image

dblbigd
1313
accept rate: 28%

Think of it like this: Yeast is alive. If the water is warm enough to burn you or be uncomfortably hot to you, the yeast will not be happy. I used to make bread with water warmer than lukewarm, but not hot enough to burn me. I hope that helps.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 22:24

Judoix's gravatar image

Judoix
101113
accept rate: 4%

Well, I thought about this. I don't use a thermometer for the job, I use an old "rule of thumb", which is to put a cup of cold water in a jug, then add half a cup of boiling water.

I calculate that this will give me a temperature between 105 deg and 115 deg, depending on the time of year. Since the jug takes up some heat, and the temperature will drop as the mixture stands, I'm never going to get over 115 deg my way, and I may go lower, starting around 100 deg . That's okay, I'm not going to kill the yeast.

So my old "rule of thumb" is a good one - put the thermometers away, stop messing bout and get cooking.

link

answered 20 Oct '09, 02:04

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×6
×1

Asked: 14 Oct '09, 16:13

Seen: 12,961 times

Last updated: 20 Oct '09, 02:04

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs