How do you make a homemade apple pie? I know how to make pie crust but not how to make the apple filling.

asked 19 Oct '09, 22:09

ally79's gravatar image

ally79
4282714
accept rate: 0%

edited 02 Dec '09, 18:02

Kris's gravatar image

Kris ♦♦
1.1k5713

The most important thing is to avoid the apples browning before you can cook them. You can brush prepared apples with lemon juice to avoid browning, but I do not like the resulting taste.

There are two ways to fill an apple pie -

1) you cook a filling first, then add it to the pie. If you work this way, you can take your time over everything.

2) you slice the apple into the pie and let it cook during baking. If you go this route, you need the pastry ready and lining a dish before you prepare the apples.

If I want a quick pie, I use the second method - just slice the peeled apple into pie case, scatter a little sugar over, and put the lid on. That's a pie for eating!

If I want a pie for something special, I cook the apples first in the microwave.

Peel and core the apples, slice them into a shallow dish, scatter a little sugar over them, cover with film and microwave for two minutes on full power.

That stops the browning, so you can work in a leisurely fashion. You can add raisins or sultanas, and mix some spices in with the sugar before scattering - you don't need a lot of sugar - five teaspoons will do for 2 lbs of apples. You can always add more sugar if you want the filling sweeter, you can't take it out!

Depending on the apples you use, the result can be a "bit mushy". If you use Bramleys, this is a quick way to make apple sauce if you don't use thick slices! Granny Smiths work well, most "eating apples" will retain firmness, so you slice them thinner.

You have to experiment to find what works best for you, with the apple varieties you have available and cooking times that suit your microwave.

Another tip is to briefly blowtorch the pastry in the bottom of the dish before you add the filling - reduces the chance of it going soggy (but I LIKE it soggy with apple pie - am I weird?).

link

answered 20 Oct '09, 15:35

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

Apple Pie with double crust.

Preheat oven to 400.

Filling: In Large bowl-- 8 Granny Smith Apples - peeled and sliced thin. 1 cup sugar 2 TB flour 2 TB Cinnamon 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 cup butter (Save out and place on top of mixture)

Mix the apples with the rest of the filling ingredients listed and set aside.

Pastry crust is 2 cups flour 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup Shortening 6-8 TB Water

Form dough with ingredients listed above. Divide into two balls. Roll each one out to 1/8 inch. Place one dough sheet in pie plate. Pour the Apple Mixture onto the dough lined pie plate. Cut the 1/4 butter into cubes and scatter on top of pie filling Place the second dough sheet over the apple mixture. Cut a few slits to allow steam out Place into hot over and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake 50 -60 minutes or until you can see clear apple mixture bubbling out of slits.

serves 8 -10

link

answered 20 Oct '09, 21:15

user-376%20%28google%29's gravatar image

user-376 (go...
412
accept rate: 0%

Slice and peel a bunch of apples, preferably apples that are good for cooking, such as granny smith. But most apples will do. Mix sugar and flour together, about twice as much sugar as flour, and add cinnamon, and a bit of cloves, ginger, and allspice. I'd use perhaps a cup or so of sugar, 1/2 cup or so of flour, maybe 1 tsp of cinnamon, and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of the other spices, depending on how you like them. Once you've mixed all the dry ingredients together, add the apples as you slice them, and when you have enough for an overflowing pie, put it in the crust and bake it.

link

answered 20 Oct '09, 02:42

thursdaysgeek's gravatar image

thursdaysgeek
480126
accept rate: 8%

I came across this recipe for frozen apple pie filling and it turned out really great. You can also use the recipe and not freeze it. ;)

Leni's Recipe Box

link

answered 20 Oct '09, 06:36

Sabrina's gravatar image

Sabrina ♦
1.5k5821
accept rate: 14%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×124
×49
×11
×6
×2

Asked: 19 Oct '09, 22:09

Seen: 3,415 times

Last updated: 02 Dec '09, 18:02

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs