Which wine would go best with a meal of chicken cordon bleu, broccoli, and salad? I have a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and a bottle of Chardonnay which of these is a better pairing?

asked 14 Oct '09, 15:42

ally79's gravatar image

ally79
4132713
accept rate: 0%

edited 09 Dec '09, 17:10

Kris's gravatar image

Kris ♦♦
1.1k5713

Having a french mother and growing up with wines I feel semi-qualified to answer your question smile. I would definitely pair the Sauvignon Blanc with your chicken cordon bleu. I believe that this particular wine will blend with the flavors of your food much better than with the Chardonnay. Ideally a Riesling would go best with this particular menu but the Sauvignon is a good choice also.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 16:27

Huntress's gravatar image

Huntress
4939910
accept rate: 5%

Just what you need - different opinions! I would probably select the Chardonnay, as the richness of the whine would go well with the richness of the chicken. Here's another idea - since wine choices eventually boil down to what you like, perhaps try both with the meal. If you are serving to a group of people, you could serve both, and start a lively discussion about what people prefer.

With wine,there are rarely absolutely right answers, but some scenarios are more likely to work out. You are probably fine with either.

link

answered 15 Oct '09, 05:27

food%20lover's gravatar image

food lover
211
accept rate: 0%

I would also possibly recommend an ausslesse (sp) wine something that is semi sweet, but not overly tart.

link

answered 14 Oct '09, 19:36

oneandonemakesix's gravatar image

oneandonemak...
6533211
accept rate: 4%

Reislings should do the trick. Semi dry reisling goes down well with cordon's. We use maple ham and swiss cheese and the wine pairs very nice with it.

link

answered 15 Oct '09, 15:54

toplinkromano's gravatar image

toplinkromano
811
accept rate: 0%

I would go with a nice dry Chardonnay. That style of wine goes with most chicken dishes and will enhance the flavor when you wash it down with the nectur from the gods.

link

answered 15 Oct '09, 16:02

spragoo's gravatar image

spragoo
26611
accept rate: 4%

I would think anything sparkling, something with bubbles would go well with the fattiness of the chicken. plus light is always better with chicken.

link

answered 15 Oct '09, 16:13

drazon's gravatar image

drazon
1411
accept rate: 0%

Just another idea - gewurztraminer. You have to pay through the nose for a good gewurztraminer from Alsace, but I bought a reasonably priced Chilean version recently. The spicy aroma would certainly complement the menu quoted. Unfortunately, when I went back for more it was sold out!

link

answered 16 Oct '09, 15:52

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

The best answer here is: Drink what you like! Wine pairing is highly subjective and listing the varietal alone is not enough information to make a good match. Chardonnay ranges from subtle, un-oaked Chablis all the way to oaky, full bodied California Chardonnay that hardly goes well with anything. Sauvignon Blanc can be a huge range of styles. I wouldn't pair a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with the same food you would pair with a Sancerre. If it tastes good to you then, it's the right match.

link

answered 18 Oct '09, 17:05

justmarsh's gravatar image

justmarsh
8613
accept rate: 33%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×34
×7
×5
×4
×1

Asked: 14 Oct '09, 15:42

Seen: 10,704 times

Last updated: 09 Dec '09, 17:10

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs