I'm making my grandmother's rice pudding, but the recipe doesn't specify what sort of rice. What kind should I use?

asked 17 Oct '09, 20:26

RobinS's gravatar image

RobinS
2263410
accept rate: 0%

12next »

I use Koshi Rice in my rice pudding, it's absolutely incredible. For years it was believe that Koshi Rice could only be grown on the Japanese mainland. However, it has been discovered that you can grow this very specific rice varietal domestically here in the US in the state of Alabama. You can find Koshi rice on foodzie.com.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 21:58

Olga%27s%20Kitchen's gravatar image

Olga's Kitchen
111
accept rate: 0%

Careful, m'dear - that sounds like a sales pitch. However, I will investigate this Koshi thing, because you have also excited my curiosity ...

(17 Oct '09, 23:56) klypos ♦♦

I have used arborio rice and it works great. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE PARBOILED RICE! I particularly prefer short grain rice rather than long grain.

link

answered 18 Oct '09, 02:48

malbacete's gravatar image

malbacete
211
accept rate: 0%

The answer depends on the recipe you're using. If you cook the rice, drain it and then add it to the creamy liquid portion of the pudding you may do well with a long grain rice or the Chinese "sweet rice". Don't try those if you're going to be cooking the rice in the liquid pudding, that is all in one pot. The rice will absorb all of the liquid and you'll be left with a solid mass. Go for the short grain Italian rices like Arborio or Carnaroli.

link

answered 23 Nov '10, 03:55

OtherDoug's gravatar image

OtherDoug
111
accept rate: 0%

I always use long grain white rice for my rice pudding. It will take on the flavor of the pudding without adding to it. plus it makes consistency better for the pudding.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 21:02

drazon's gravatar image

drazon
1411
accept rate: 0%

If it doesn't specify, I would assume a long grain white rice. An arborio rice (like you use for risotto) might be worth an experiment if you have it on hand anyway.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 21:52

AnnaRaven's gravatar image

AnnaRaven
59219
accept rate: 9%

My favorite rice pudding recipe is made with brown rice, so I'd suppose any rice would work. Regular long grain white rice is typical.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 22:29

tface1000's gravatar image

tface1000
1512
accept rate: 0%

Long grain rice DOES NOT WORK for a traditional rice pudding. You want a short grain rice, like Arborio rice.

Yes you can use Arborio rice for risotto - but Italians use Carnaroli rice mostly, and they should know.

There are some Indian sweet recipes that use Basmati rice, and that is probably the only long grain rice that would give an acceptable rice pudding. Other long grain rice varieties retain too much texture, unless you cook them to the consistency of wallpaper paste - and by that time, that's all the pudding is fit for.

link

answered 17 Oct '09, 23:21

klypos's gravatar image

klypos ♦♦
4.4k101015
accept rate: 10%

edited 17 Oct '09, 23:48

If we're talking preferences, I prefer my rice pudding with wild rice, and maple syrup as the sweetener. I'm just thinking that "grandma" probably didn't have a lot of exotic rices around for her rice pudding. So, either short grain white rice or long grain white rice are the most likely. I personally like the texture of the long-grain white rice better, but your best bet to figure out "grandma's" recipe is to walk into the local store and see what the "white rice" in the most generic, common package is.

link

answered 18 Oct '09, 09:32

AnnaRaven's gravatar image

AnnaRaven
59219
accept rate: 9%

For rice pudding, you need a short grain rice. Short grain rice is starchier, and makes the pudding thicken, otherwise you have rice in milk. In some markets, particularly Asian markets, you can find rice labeled "sweet rice". The rice is not sweet itself, but is rice that works well in sweet recipes like rice pudding. Other labels to look for would be arborio (traditionally used in risotto), sushi rice, or california rice. Those would all work well in your recipe.

link

answered 18 Oct '09, 21:53

Christina%20S's gravatar image

Christina S
176113
accept rate: 6%

Try using grade one long grain rice for your pudding. it works well as it is not sticky and also you can use the flavored one. the outcome is the same but the latter has some good smell and sweet after taste

link

answered 19 Oct '09, 08:25

toplinkromano's gravatar image

toplinkromano
811
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×124
×17
×11

Asked: 17 Oct '09, 20:26

Seen: 19,385 times

Last updated: 09 Jan '11, 22:39

Part of the Recipe Puppy network: Recipe Puppy - Cook Thing - Food Guts - Recipe Labs

©2011 RecipeLabs